If you’re nearing the end of your third trimester, you may feel overwhelmed at the thought of making sure you’re fully prepared for your baby’s big arrival. One of the preparations you’ll want to nail down ahead of time? Your hospital bag.
The ideal hospital bag will have items for mom and also for the new baby. Wondering exactly what to put inside? Here’s a list of hospital bag essentials to help make packing easier.
Hospital Bag Essentials for Mom
- ID and insurance card - even if you pre-registered, it's still a good idea to keep these documents handy.
- Comfy clothes to wear in the hospital - think nightgowns and/or tops that are nursing-friendly, robes, slippers or slipper socks, and maybe even your own hospital gown. Don't forget to pack a loose, comfortable outfit for you to go home from the hospital in.
- A comfort item from home, like your pillow or a blanket.
- A great nursing bra and nursing pada (such as Lansinoh’s nursing pads or their cooling gel pads).
- Toothbrush, toothpaste and floss.
- Face wash and moisturizer.
- Contacts and/or glasses, if needed.
- Shampoo, conditioner and body wash.
- Hair ties and hairbrush.
- Body lotion and nipple cream, if you're planning to nurse.
- Makeup (including chapstick!), and any other beauty products that make you feel comfortable.
- Camera, phone, iPad or computer (for watching movies) and their respective chargers. Also, bring headphones for listening to music or labor affirmations.
- Books or magazines - these are a great way to relax before the baby comes, especially if you’re planning on having an epidural.
- Your favorite snacks. (And your partner's, or whoever else is present at the birth.)
Hospital Bag Essentials for Baby
- 2-3 Swaddling blankets
- 2-3 outfits or jammies (if you want to dress your baby in the hospital), plus a going home outfit and a few onesies.
- Hats, hand covers and socks, if desired.
- Pacifiers (if you want to use a different brand than what is provided at the hospital).
- Car seat (for going home) and car seat cover. Covers from brands such as CoveredGoods can also be used as a nursing cover).